Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day

We live in the most amazing place. I will be completely content if I live here forever. We chose a family bike ride to celebrate the holiday that is Labor Day. Q pulled the trailer with Eliza and Sol, Corbin rode and I too rode my bike that has seen more use in the last 6 months than in the previous 11 years since Q enthusiastically bought it for me. Poor guy. I am certain he thought I would liken to his hobby of mountain biking. But it quickly became evident I am not suited for riding a bike up and down a mountain. But today yeilded itself to slow riding on a paved trail along side the incredible Sacramento River.

We forgot our helmets. Had this been 20 years ago, it would not a have even crossed my mind to be concerned about this. Ahh...but we live in 2010 and those that do not have protective headgear for their children riding bicycles are looked down upon. Borderline child neglect or endangerment. "Don't they know that it's not safe to have their child riding without a helmet?" Well at least this is how it seems to me. I felt as though everyone was thinking this as we happily rode past. Probably mostly in my imagination, but still the guilt riddles me.

Lack of helmets aside, it was a very enjoyable morning. Beautiful weather, beautiful scenery, beautiful family.

Happy Day.