Wednesday, January 19, 2011

goodbye for now, old friend

I became in contact with an old friend again after many years via Facebook. A long time ago we were not just friends, but close and dear friends. Very quickly it became apparent that we had taken different paths in life.  I chose a family life based on faith and love and living honestly. While she also had a family, her life was lived in stark contrast to my own.  She hung with a "hard" crowd and her body began to reflect her lifestyle in all manner of images imprinted upon it.  She chose a life a partying, drugs, drinking and the like.  While she loved her children dearly, it wasn't enough to rid herself of her increasingly hardened lifestyle.  Two days ago I learned that she passed on from this life.  At 31 years of age, she left behind two beautiful children who now have no mother.  I do not know the details of her death, but my gut tells me is it was self inflicted.  And while she may not have intentionally ended her own life, her lifestyle took it from her.

I mourn the loss of her young life.  I mourn the memory of our childhood friendship, which remains vivid in my memory.  I mourn for the two precious children who will grow up with out a mother.  I mourn for her parents who I know loved her dearly.  I mourn that she never knew the truth about how an honest life makes one happy.  I am saddened that she felt emptiness within herself and ignorantly tried to fill with all the wrong things. I mourn for all that she will never experience. I mourn for my dear friend.

It is times like these that I am grateful for the knowledge of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  I find comfort in knowing that someone on the other side of the veil will teach her the truth. I pray that she will recognize truth and goodness when it comes before her. I have found solace in that someday she will be reunited with her children.

Good bye Suzanne, until we meet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment